ICM Chop Options

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
Supersonics

ICM Chop Options

Post by Supersonics »

Please add a '# of players' remaining the for ICM Chop option to become available instead of the entire Final Table in the settings of a specific tournament.

Here are a few examples of why I'm asking for this request...

1) I have been running a bigger featured tournament the past 6 weeks where the ICM chop is causing a lot of unnecessary drama due to the large prize pool. Initially only the top 6 spots were payout spots on the 8 player final table. I then changed this to pay out 8 spots due to some ICM chop drama where the players in 7th and 8th were desperately trying to chop as the blinds were crazy. Now that all 8 spots pay on this final table, at least 7th and 8th are banking some chips, but ideally I would only want the ICM Chop for this tournament to appear when only 4 players are left.

Currently the option is for any player to click that ICM Chop box or not. That makes sense to all of us here, but.... when players finally find themselves on a Final Table for the first time with an ICM chop option, or people aren't paying attention to chat, or people are trying to ask players during an active hand to "chop" or at least "look at the ICM chop options" it interrupts the game and puts players in an awkward position. If someone is begging to see a chop and another player has a dominant chip stack, knowing for certain they do not want to chop, but this is a league of friends, it puts people in tough positions. "Sure okay I'll look at the ICM chop option." People sometimes check down hands just to see it, and then it gets refused. This is happening. People then start thinking players are angling, etc... I'm seeing this dialog happen weekly right now so I just put an ICM Chop Etiquette out to my group.

I would simply like to have the option to only offer the ICM chop on this big tourney when it gets down to 4 players or less since I know how this tourney runs. It would cut out all of the ICM chop banter which is really distracting, and it then offers this option when the payouts are going to be pretty massive anyway.

2) On a 6 player Sit-N-Go table where only the top 2 pay, seeing players chop these up when 4 players are left is not what I'm intending with this tourney. In that situation, I would set the '# of players remaining' for an ICM chop to 2 players. This seems to be more of the spirit of how I would like the chop to work on a 6 player SNG table where the final two decide to chop and move on to other tourneys.

I could go on and on, but feel passionately enough about this where I'm confident it would improve the experience.

Thanks,
Supersonics
setspike

Re: ICM Chop Options

Post by setspike »

Perhaps in a future version, the ICM split amounts could be visible when mousing over the Total box, similar to how the Statistics used to be there in prior versions.

- setspike
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

setspike wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:40 am Perhaps in a future version, the ICM split amounts could be visible when mousing over the Total box, similar to how the Statistics used to be there in prior versions.
The calculation is super CPU intensive (10 million floating point operations on a full table) so it's not something you want to do after every hand on every live tournament.
DaneW

Post by DaneW »

+1 on sonics comment.

To add to this, i would like a way to add a % of the prize pool that will be set aside for 1st place. I run larger tournaments too where people want to chop but I have points that people need to play for. However with the current chop option the tournament ends. Either allow us to set aside a % of the prize pool for 1st place. Or an option to let people play it out after the chop has been made ("End at Chop" Y/N).

Thanks for all you do!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Supersonics wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:08 pm Please add a '# of players' remaining the for ICM Chop option to become available instead of the entire Final Table in the settings of a specific tournament.
This feature now in v7.13:

viewtopic.php?t=3908
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Thank you so much Kent!