Possibility for Uniques rather than Entrants in payout structure?

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Grim

Possibility for Uniques rather than Entrants in payout structure?

Post by Grim »

We're sometimes doing re-entry tournaments, but we might be just 5 unique players. We have a payout structure for 2-5 players (2 paces paid), 6-10 (3 places paid) and above (4 places) but with (cheap) re-entries we might trigger 4 paid places. Granted, the prize pool is bigger but I want to be able to change the payout structure from entrants to uniques in these tournaments so not 80% gets a prize. :)
Would it be something you could consider?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Possibility for Uniques rather than Entrants in payout structure?

Post by Kent Briggs »

Doubtful, you should just do a rebuy tourney instead. Re-entries are treated as new players so the payout schedule reflects that also. Many of those 80% will have a net loss anyway.
Grim

Post by Grim »

Well, we're doing progressive bounty with re-entry as rebuy wouldn't add to the bounty. Again an unusual format so I can see the lack of needing to cater to such a setup. :)
BaxtersClub

Post by BaxtersClub »

I have encountered similar issues, but I have been able to keep it fair by using something like this:

We do a lot of freezeout tournaments.

Most of the tournaments that aren't freezeouts are rebuy tournaments. Those are pegged to unique users.

For PKOs, we mostly run "Total PKOs" So with no regular prize pool, I can use re-entry instead of rebuy without having to adjust anything.

So there is a very small number of games left where it matters. But for those, I go in and adjust the payout structure, based on what I expect to happen with the number of uniques and the number or re-entries. Over time I think you develop some sense of what kind of turnout you'll have and how the game will flow. So I just set the milestones higher in the re-entry tournaments for triggering additional payouts. For example, if I think I am going to have 12 unique players, but each one is going to average 2 buy-ins, I probably don't want 24 buy-ins producing more paid spots than I'd have for 12 uniques.

But one disclaimer here is that I often prefer bigger payouts to fewer players.

I also heavily advertise the player chop (ICM) feature. If I miscalculate and have too few places getting paid, the players will often pay an extra place by just chopping.

It is manual, but I also sometimes do some sort of bubble payout, based on a number of entries being reached. In essence, this is a bit of a safety net for my calculations. If we get more than I figure we will, I can pay an extra place. This I do from my "promotional pool" which is funded by the "rake."

And in the case of tournaments where I am doing rebuys with payouts based on unique players, I often rake only the first buy-in. So it is advertised as "Just 50+5 to play, with unlimited rake-free rebuys through the first six levels."