AWS EC2 can't be reached

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
ambythegreat

AWS EC2 can't be reached

Post by ambythegreat »

Hi All,
Trying to host trial through AWS and eager to get paid plan once this is working.

We created a few inbound rules but the site still cannot be reached. The IP address continues to time out when pinged but EC2 dashboard in AWS says the instance is running properly. Any suggestions for settings to check or adjust to ensure the IP address can be pinged?

Thanks!
AG
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: AWS EC2 can't be reached

Post by Kent Briggs »

Haven't used AWS personally but I know from other customers that they have a separate firewall (in addition to the Windows firewall) where you need to open the File Port and Packet Port. Hopefully this link will help:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/late ... tance.html

This shows how to open Remote Desktop access but I assume it's the same procedure for opening other ports.
ambythegreat

Post by ambythegreat »

Thanks, Kent.

We tried setting up inbound rules within our AWS EC2 dashboard as well as in the virtual machine Windows Firewall with Advanced Security settings but still no luck.

Any chance you or someone on your end could walk us through via screenshare sometime?

I'm afraid we are stuck in the mud and not sure how to proceed.

If others are using AWS EC2 server, I'd love to better understand how you set it up successfully.

Thanks!
AG
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Hopefully someone with AWS experience will chime in.

In the mean time, make sure the Windows Firewall is open. Don't mess with individual inbound rules and ports in the advanced Windows settings. Just go to the regular firewall settings in the control panel and select "Allow a program through Windows Firewall" and select PMServer.exe from the program folder. That whitelists the whole program and later changes (if any) to your File Port or Packet Port will still be open. See the last paragraph in item 2 in the PM FAQ: https://www.briggsoft.com/pmfaq.htm
ambythegreat

Post by ambythegreat »

I think that worked. I just needed to allow the poker mavens server file through the firewall. Thank you!