Any Ubuntu setup guide?

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Pelicansrule

Any Ubuntu setup guide?

Post by Pelicansrule »

Hi all.

Hoping someone could help guide me in the setup of self hosting this on my ubuntu box ? Would need SSL encryption as well. Is this possible ? I have hosted other things in the past and used free letsencrypt certs but still rather noobish.

Thanks !
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Any Ubuntu setup guide?

Post by Kent Briggs »

Poker Mavens is a Windows application.
DonnyB

Post by DonnyB »

@pelicansrule

Kent doesn't support running Poker Mavens under Linux. There are two different methods I've identified which are completely unsupported:

1. Using WINE
You would install WINE packages on your Ubuntu server. You would also install a VNC Server, like TightVNC Server, in order to have a graphical interface so you can run the Poker Mavens software and edit the settings. (Poker Mavens cannot be run by command line only).

HOWEVER, there is one major flaw in this method. Every so often (once a day, once a week, a few times a day, unknown) you'll get a "Websocket Connection Error" where no one else is able to join the lobby or games running until you restart the Poker Mavens server. Running tables/tourneys will NOT be affected as far as I've seen. But there has been a few times where I'm at a friend's house and need to borrow their laptop to restart the server when my other friends are trying to play the game.

I have also not been able to get IPV6 to work under WINE either.

If you're only running a tourney once a week, and you'll be there for every tourney, this might be an OK option. But it was annoying enough for me to move to the second option:

2. Running a virtualized Windows environment
This is where you'll run Virtualbox (or a different virtualization software) on your Ubuntu machine, and install a full Windows ISO on it. You'll need a Windows license to do this method, so if you have an old license for Windows XP or greater, or Server 2012 R2 or greater, you can do this. Keep in mind this will force you to allocate disk space for an entire Windows install. You'll want to use bridged networking in VirtualBox so the server has its own IP address (separate from Ubuntu IP address), and will need to port forward to the Windows IP Address.

You will connect via Windows RDP to install Poker Mavens and configure the server.

So far, I have not had any issues with this method.

Either way, for SSL functionality, you'll need a Pro license ($150).
keganquimby

Post by keganquimby »

@pelicansrule

PM me if you're looking for help setting up a virtual windows server with SSL
Pelicansrule

Post by Pelicansrule »

thanks for the help thus far,

any advice on where to find a cheap windows key ? 140-200 for a legit key is too much for me and I was hoping to host this on my server at home, how easy would it be to setup SSL encryption if I did find a windows key ? Or do you guys think it would be cheaper/easier to just host this in the cloud and pay monthly ?
keganquimby

Post by keganquimby »

setting this up in the cloud is super easy and pretty cheap. email me for more info: [email protected]
DonnyB

Post by DonnyB »

@PelicansRule

You can go to Microsoft Labs and buy an evaluation copy. I think you can "re-arm" it a few times up to a 3-6 month period before it will start shutting down on you every hour. Then, you just reinstall a new Evaluation Copy, move your Poker Mavens data to that, and do it again.
hxe

Post by hxe »

DonnyB wrote:Running tables/tourneys will NOT be affected as far as I've seen.
Technically true. Anyone who is currently on a table can continue playing.
The issue is that anyone that disconnects for whatever reason may not be able to come back.
Most times they can't, but I've had a few reports of some people being able to reconnect.
hxe

Post by hxe »

Pelicansrule wrote: any advice on where to find a cheap windows key ? 140-200 for a legit key is too much for me and I was hoping to host this on my server at home
PCWorld had a legit license for Windows 10 a while back for like $40.
But they killed it.
There's the cheap eBay keys but that's just piracy with more steps.

For me, I'm currently running an "evaluation". Install windows without putting in a key.
The only "downside" is no customization but since nothing is running on it, I don't care. Who cares what your wallpaper is when PM is forefront?
I've been running for about 4 months now without issues.
how easy would it be to setup SSL encryption if I did find a windows key ?
Easy. Either front it with Cloudflare and install their cert or buy a cert and install it yourself.
Or do you guys think it would be cheaper/easier to just host this in the cloud and pay monthly ?
Hosting it yourself is pretty easy. Obviously depending on why you want to host it (ie for friends once in a while vs running a paid service for revenue generation) should dictate where you host.
It also depends on how much experience you have with hosting things.