Router Port Forwarding

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Router Port Forwarding

Post by Kent Briggs »

I have summarized everything I know about router port forwarding and troubleshooting blocked ports into a single document here:

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/PortForward.htm
Max In Montreal

Re: Router Port Forwarding

Post by Max In Montreal »

When listing my site on your public sites page, I am having an issue. The site wants to connect to my router, which asks to log into the router. It is not connecting directly to the PC where the software is running, In the port forwarding the numbers of the ports mentioned are 8087 and 8088, but in the application to set the ports 8080 is listed... I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong and need help! :D
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Max In Montreal wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:44 am When listing my site on your public sites page, I am having an issue. The site wants to connect to my router, which asks to log into the router. It is not connecting directly to the PC where the software is running, In the port forwarding the numbers of the ports mentioned are 8087 and 8088, but in the application to set the ports 8080 is listed... I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong and need help! :D
Which version of Poker Mavens are you running? The default ports for version 6 and older were 8087 and 8088 whereas the default ports for version 7 are 80 and 8080. In either case you can change these in the PM settings but whatever ports you pick you must match them in your router's port forward settings. Version 7 has a Router Firewall button that will do this for you if you have Universal Plug 'n Play enabled. Otherwise follow the instructions in the link at the top of this thread.
Max In Montreal

OK yes, it is the latest versions. So i will forget about 8087 and 8088 in the router.

In the software i see it, 2 ports are configured 80 and 8080. to list my site on the public servers list, i put in my ip address then :8080

when trying to connect i get this error:
This page isn’t working
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE
I am thinking this is some sort of security in the router that is blocking it...not sure what to do next... :oops: Is it maybe a setting somewhere in Windows 11?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Max In Montreal wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:28 pm In the software i see it, 2 ports are configured 80 and 8080. to list my site on the public servers list, i put in my ip address then :8080
If your HTTP port setting is 80 then you don't need to append the port number to your URL because 80 is the default port for http connections. The WS port is 8080 and that is for the websocket connection made automatically by the client back to the server. Make sure your router has both 80 and 8080 forwarding to your poker server. Email me a screenshot of your router's port forwarding if you can't get it working. Also if you using a residential ISP, made sure they aren't blocking either one of those ports. Some ISPs like Cox cable will block port 80.
Max In Montreal

I read this somewhere, maybe my situation is similar...
Hello, per you know, the port 80 is used for the local management page by default, while it can be adjusted.
Please login to the web UI of the Archer vr2800 and then go to advanced-system tools-administration-local management page to change the port number.
And then you can enable the virtual server for the web server with port 80 and you can test whether it works this time.
May it help.
Router is a different brand but will try setting mavens to 90 instead of 80...
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Max In Montreal wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:40 pm I read this somewhere, maybe my situation is similar...
That's talking about accessing the router's http interface, which will be on its own port 80. That has no relation to the ports on your PC where Poker Mavens is running.
Max In Montreal

Everything is running fine now... I am embarrassed to say, it was my error. Let us forget any of this happened! :oops: