Delayed Start of Tournament: Better late than never

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
michaelmlevin

Delayed Start of Tournament: Better late than never

Post by michaelmlevin »

We run 6 tournaments per week at set times. Occasionally, there aren't enough people signed up at the start time (usually because people are running a few minutes behind) and so the tournament cancels, those who registered have their money refunded and that's it.

SUGGESTION:

What if there were a variable, in the tournament configuration, "HOW LONG TO DELAY START IF SHORT PLAYERS":

Say you put in 15 minutes. Rather than cancelling, the tournament just outputs a message to the registered players "Tournament will begin once # players have registered" and it just sits there. If you get to the time out of 15 minutes, it would put out a message "Tournament has been cancelled because not enough players registered" and then it would do its reset thing.

BUT, if the additional necessary players registered before the time-out, the tournament could start. Pretty LATE than never.
Supersonics

Re: Delayed Start of Tournament: Better late than never

Post by Supersonics »

In the Edit Tournament settings, just change minimum players to 2, so your tourney will start when it is supposed to, even with fewer players than you were hoping for. Then bump up your Late Registration to whatever time suits you, that way players can jump in after it launches.
jadelaar

Post by jadelaar »

I like this idea. I've moved to Manual Start because the tournament will cancel if not enough people register and my players are hesitant to register if there are only 2-3 players. So, I won't start tournament until 6 players register. A conditionally delayed start would be an elegant fix to this issue.
JerryB

Post by JerryB »

michaelmlevin wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:27 pm ...Occasionally, there aren't enough people signed up at the start time (usually because people are running a few minutes behind) and so the tournament cancels...
In particular, this happens in the "Sunday Morning" tournaments when people miss seconds of the start of the tournament.
The minimum players are already set to 2, but even that is sometimes not achieved.
The "HOW LONG TO DELAY START IF SHORT PLAYERS" idea would solve the problem *vote*

Cheers
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Do you have any Sit-N-Go tournaments for your league? If not, it's nice to have some of those if you have enough people logging on as they can just sign up if they are interested, and it will launch when you get your required number of players ready to play. Maybe start with a 4 player SNG, and have some 6 player options as well.
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

JerryB, how long is your Late Registration setting? On busy nights, I typically have a 45 minute late registration, but if I know the tournament will take several hours to finish, especially with Deepstacks / Rebuys / Addons, I will go with a 60 minute late registration. I'm sure other hosts have much longer Late Registrations.
JerryB

Post by JerryB »

Supersonics wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:32 am JerryB, how long is your Late Registration setting?...
Our latereg is 30 minutes but that is not the problem. If at least 2 players are not registered by 11 am on Saturday, the tournament will not even start. We also set the registration time to T-24h (normal T-1h) but unfortunately also without success.

We don't use sit'n go because we play all our daily tournaments in seasonal league mode (3 months)
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

JerryB, how many are in your league?
How many typically play in your tournaments?

My suggestion: Set up a tournament that 'Starts When Full' however
Max Entrants: Set it to the total number of players in your league.
Start Now: X Players - Whatever is the absolutely minimum you are okay with starting to play one of your league tournaments. Is this 3 players? 4? 5?
That way, when they register, they can click the 'Start Now' button and when that required number is met, it will launch.
Late Registration: Set this to whatever duration you are comfortable with people rolling in late. 45 Minutes? 60 Minutes?
Get everyone on a group text, so the handful of players who are waiting can blow up everyone on your text thread and get them to jump in.

With these settings, you will have a tournament available to jump into at your set time, the players who are active can get going and recruit others, and no programming is needed from Kent. ;)

Supersonics
dengland

Post by dengland »

JerryB wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:05 pm
Our latereg is 30 minutes but that is not the problem. If at least 2 players are not registered by 11 am on Saturday, the tournament will not even start. We also set the registration time to T-24h (normal T-1h) but unfortunately also without success.

We don't use sit'n go because we play all our daily tournaments in seasonal league mode (3 months)
Same for me... League play. Occasionally folks get busy on Sunday morning, and I don't have the minimum 2 at start time but have 8 five minutes later. I have some that won't register until it looks like 5 or 6 are showing up. I have tried bonus chips for being on time. It worked for a while and then trickled out.

I assume it is for recurring games? If I am home, I will edit the tournament to start and text some folks to get in there. I just need to remember to set the start time back to normal for the next week. It does not always happen.

Perfect scenario for me: # of retries to relaunch, # of minute to delay retrying, and some sort of message (or countdown) for the people waiting.

or

The ability for the game to launch and sit until the minimum is hit. (I suppose then you need a timeout to cancel if it never gets off the ground before the next occurence)
JerryB

Post by JerryB »

Request repetition :)